Aboriginal Caseworker - Blacktown
Wesley Brighter Futures
- permanent full-time position 38 hours a week
- based in Blacktown
- salary + car allowance + super + salary packaging benefits
Wesley Mission is a high profile, multi-faceted Christian organisation making a real difference in the community. We work with the most disadvantaged in our community by providing over 200 services ranging from aged care, homeless services, child and family care, counselling, employment, training and education, and health services.
Our Vision is “Do all the good you can, by all the means you can, in all the ways you can, in all the places you can, at all the times you can, to all the people you can, as long as ever you can.”
About the program
As part of Wesley’s Family and Community Services group, the Brighter Futures program provides targeted support to vulnerable families with children aged 0-8 years to prevent them from entering or escalating into the child protection system. The Brighter Futures Early Intervention Program is funded by NSW Family and Community Services and is a voluntary, child focused program. Brighter Futures aims to promote strong, functional and well supported families within the community.
About the role
We are currently seeking an Aboriginal case worker to work across the Blacktown area. This is a dynamic and challenging opportunity for an experienced professional to join a committed team. Wesley Mission provides regular supervision and support for all staff as well as a range of opportunities for professional development and staff benefits.
- at least 2 years’ experience in working with family, that involves the identification and analysis of safety and wellbeing concerns for children
- demonstrated ability to engage families at the point of initial service contact, build relationships of trust and cooperation, problem solve and support planning
- high level ability to liaise, network and maintain solid working relationships with a variety of individuals
- high level written and verbal communication skills
- experience with assessment based tools
- cultural competence and experience working alongside and Aboriginal families and the culturally & linguistically diverse (CALD)
- high level self-management, critical analysis and organisational skills
- demonstrated knowledge and experience in working with children and families experiencing stressors, including domestic violence, child protection issues, parent drug and alcohol misuse, parenting skills, child behaviour management, learning difficulties, parental mental health and social isolation;
- current NSW or National driver’s licence
- must identify and be recognised as Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander
- working knowledge of the local child and family support sector for the area which you are applying
- experience in SafeCare delivery, or other parenting programs
- experience in managing electronic files and data bases
- tertiary qualification(s) in Psychology, Counselling, Social Work, Social Science or related fields
Interested in becoming an Aboriginal Caseworker?
Attend an information session to find our more information.
Date: Thursday 6th December 2018
Locations: Wesley Mission, 43 Fourth Ave Blacktown
If you have any queries or to register your attendance for the information session please contact [email protected]
Salary and employment conditions are in accordance with the Social, Community, Home Care and Disability Services Industry Award 2010 Level 5.
Wednesday12 December 2018, 5pm.
Due to the nature of the role, this program requires applicants to be of Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander descent.
(Exemption under Section 14D of the Anti-Discrimination Act 1977, NSW)
Please submit a copy of your CV/resume and a cover letter addressing all the selection criteria to: [email protected]
Applications which do not address all the essential criteria will not be considered.
Wesley Mission is a Christian organisation requiring all staff to affirm its values and Worker code of conduct. We are committed to providing an environment in which children can feel safe and valued.
The suitable applicant will be subject to the relevant pre-employment checks for appointment to positions within Wesley Mission (including provision of a valid Working with Children Check clearance number).