Caseworker - Ashfield and Surry Hills
Wesley Homeless Services
- full-time position
- based in Ashfield and Surry Hills
Wesley Mission is a high profile, multi-faceted Christian organisation making a real difference in the community. We work with the most disadvantaged in our community by providing over 200 services ranging from aged care, homeless services, child and family care, counselling, employment, training and education, and health services.
Our Vision is "Do all the good you can, by all the means you can, in all the ways you can, in all the places you can, at all the times you can, to all the people you can, as long as ever you can."
About the role
An opportunity exists for an experienced, motivated and teachable person to join our small team of Caseworkers supporting our homeless neighbours to leave homelessness for good and improve their stability, independence and happiness.
This is a demanding but rewarding role, requiring initiative, resilience, collaboration, creativity, and genuine compassion. It will involve working from offices both in Ashfield and at our mixed emergency accommodation service in Surry Hills, as well as in partner organisations, rough sleeper locations and in homes of our formerly-homeless or at-risk clients. It will include some earlier starts and later finishes and may occasionally require availability on weekends and public holidays. It will require travel across the districts in which we deliver services.
- willingness to contribute generously to all the hands-on activities required to make our emergency service function day-to-day and to ensure that clients are served, and their support needs are met
- qualifications and experience relevant to the quality provision of accommodation, care and support activities for a range of ages and circumstances – including skills to support very complex needs
- understanding of homelessness and an ease in providing warm and credible empathy to people who are at risk of, who are, or who have been homeless – often at their most vulnerable or distressed
- ability to articulate practice that is person-centred, trauma-informed, culturally competent and respectful of diversity, and the role of case management in supporting permanent exits from homelessness
- ability to perform in complex and challenging community welfare settings – flexible and creative approaches to work, matched with tested personal attributes such as resilience, patience, initiative, compassion and commitment to self-care
- effective communication and administrative competencies – computer literacy, documentation, data collection etc
- ability to embrace Wesley Mission’s values and to work within its codes of ethics and conduct – and to work respectfully alongside the mission and values of partner organisations.
- local, sector or organisational knowledge
- familiarity with sector practice guidelines, information systems and outcome measures.
Applicants will need to possess a current driver’s licence, Apply First Aid Certification, and satisfy relevant security checks including but not limited to a Working with Children Check.
Salary and employment conditions are in accordance with the Social, Community, Home Care and Disability Services Industry Award 2010, Level 5: https://awardviewer.fwo.gov.au/award/show/MA000100
Friday 01 October 2021, by 5 pm.
Please submit a copy of your CV/resume and a cover letter addressing all the selection criteria. For further information, or to submit an application, please contact:
Wesley Mission is a Christian organisation requiring all staff to affirm its values. We are committed to providing an environment in which children can feel safe and valued.
The suitable applicant will be subject to the relevant pre-employment checks for appointment to positions within Wesley Mission (including provision of a valid Working with Children Check clearance number). Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people are encouraged to apply.