Chaplain, Wesley Service Delivery - Taree
Wesley Congregational Life
- full-time position
- based in Taree
Wesley Mission is a uniquely shaped church. The people who make up our congregational life come from a wide range of cultural backgrounds. They include recognised leaders in Australian society as well as those who live at society’s margins.
Our Christ-centred faith is lived out in Word and deed, particularly through our community services in such areas as homelessness services, aged care, suicide prevention, child and family services, disabilities services, mental health and youth services.
About the role
The focus of the role is to mobilise church communities for mission and discipleship in the Taree region by building collaborative efforts between congregations in Taree, Wesley Mission’s community services, and churches and organisations beyond Wesley Mission. This is a pioneering role that seeks to connect the gifts of the church with areas of missional need in a whole-of-community approach. It will also involve discipleship and pastoral care of Wesley Mission staff and volunteers in Taree.
The successful candidate for this role will have the following:
- understanding and commitment to the vision, mission and Christian principles of Wesley Mission and its Word and deed ministry
- commitment to and trust in the Lord Jesus Christ together with suitable knowledge, understanding and formal training of the Christian faith
- Theological qualification, e.g., Bachelor of Theology or equivalent
- Pastoral Care and or Counselling qualification, e.g., one or more units of Clinical Pastoral Education (CPE) or equivalent
- working knowledge of reflective practice within pastoral ministry
- ability to build missional networks and collaborative relationships in a diverse setting
- passion for working with the vulnerable and marginalised of our society
- skills in integrating and representing the spiritual elements of life within the daily lives of people
- resilient, flexible and able to remain calm in challenging situations
- respects and maintains a high-level of confidentiality where appropriate
- highly organized, flexible and adaptable
- demonstrated ability to work unsupervised as well as in a team environment
- innovative approach to problem solving and commitment to follow through
- excellent written and oral skills, public speaking and presentation capabilities
- outstanding interpersonal skills; flexible and patient with the ability to relate well to all levels of society with which Wesley Mission interacts
- experience working in a dynamic environment across ethnic, socio-economic and theological contexts
- experience in providing pastoral care to clients and staff in a community services context
- pastoral care and chaplaincy experience especially among those who are hurt, disadvantaged, oppressed or marginalized
Friday 24 July 2020, by 5pm.
Please submit a copy of your CV/resume and a cover letter addressing all the selection criteria. For further information, or to submit an application, please contact:
Mrs Elizabeth Freeman
Wesley Mission is a Christian organisation requiring all staff to affirm its values. We are committed to providing an environment in which children can feel safe and valued.
The suitable applicant will be subject to the relevant pre-employment checks for appointment to positions within Wesley Mission. Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people are encouraged to apply. This role is only offered to permanent residents of Australia.