Financial Counsellor / Financial Capability Worker - Mid North Coast
Wesley Counselling Services
- part-time position (22.8 hours/week)
- based on NSW Mid North Coast region (can be located at either Taree / Port Macquarie or Kempsey)
We work with the most disadvantaged people in our community by providing services ranging from aged care, homeless services, child and family care, counselling, employment, training and education, health services and support to community service providers.
Our Vision is “Do all the good you can, by all the means you can, in all the ways you can, in all the places you can, at all the times you can, to all the people you can, as long as ever you can.”
About the program
Wesley Counselling Services is a free, face-to-face, confidential counselling service. We offer counselling and support to people dealing with the emotional trauma and distress caused by financial difficulties and financial crisis. It is a comprehensive, specialist counselling service that provides assistance toward gaining financial control and independence. We offer one-on-one financial counselling and consumer education. Financial counsellors do not lend money or promote financial products.
About the role
Financial Counsellors/Financial Capability Workers provide intensive support through an in-depth assessment of a person’s financial situation, to understand the extent of their financial difficulties and to identify options to address these. They encourage the person to participate in the planning and decision-making processes. They may also refer clients to other sources of support and assistance (such as addiction support services) as necessary.
Financial Counsellor/Financial Capability Workers are also responsible for building financial capability through delivery of financial literacy education (e.g. delivering Wesley ‘In Charge of My Money’ financial literacy program).
(Note: Ongoing support and guidance from a Senior Financial Counsellor and regular supervision and care will be provided).
- must possess relevant recognised qualifications and mandatory work placement hours to practice as a financial counsellor as per prescribed requirements set by ‘Financial Counselling Australia’ and ‘Financial Counsellor’s Assoc of NSW’. This consists of one or more of the following recognised qualifications:
- Diploma of Financial Counselling CHC51115 or
- Diploma of Community Services (Financial Counselling) CHC51002 or
- Diploma of Community Services (Financial Counselling) CHC52108
- possess demonstrated skills and experience in counselling
- have experience and/or competency in delivering community education programs
- demonstrated telephone counselling and client assessment experience
- demonstrate highly developed written and oral communication skills situations, with a supportive & positive attitude toward all persons for whom there is responsibility, accountability or care
- demonstrated knowledge and understanding of the issues contributing to an individual’s and/or household financial stress/hardship
- be an accredited member of the Financial Counsellors’ Association of NSW (or working towards accreditation)
- demonstrate good time management skills
- demonstrated skills in client advocacy
- demonstrate computer competency including use of Microsoft Office and databases
- demonstrated ability to work unsupervised as well as be an effective team player with a positive can-do attitude
- hold a current NSW driver’s license
- demonstrates a commitment to the vision, mission and values of Wesley Mission
- able to meet all Working with Children and security/police checks.
- demonstrated experience in financial counselling
Salary and employment conditions are in accordance with the Social, Community, Home Care and Disability Services (SCHADS) Industry Award 2010.
Monday 29 April 2019, by 5pm
Applications will only be considered which comprise a cover letter, written responses to the essential and desirable selection criteria, a current resume and an Application for Employment Form. For further information, or to submit an application, please contact:
Phone: (02) 4915 36202
Email: [email protected]
Mail: PO Box 2208, Dangar, NSW 2309
Wesley Mission is a Christian Organisation requiring all staff to affirm its values and Worker Code of Conduct. We are committed to providing an environment in which children can feel safe and valued.
The suitable applicant will be subject to the relevant pre-employment checks for appointment to positions within Wesley Mission (including provision of a valid Working with Children Check clearance number). Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people are encouraged to apply.