Gambling Counsellor - Newcastle
Wesley Community & Family Care
- part-time position 4 days per week
- contract to 31 December 2020 with the possibility of extension to permanent part-time
- based in Newcastle
Wesley Mission is a high profile, multi-faceted Christian organisation making a real difference in the community. We work with the most disadvantaged in our community by providing over 200 services ranging from aged care, homeless services, child and family care, counselling, employment, training and education, and health services.
Our Vision is “Do all the good you can, by all the means you can, in all the ways you can, in all the places you can, at all the times you can, to all the people you can, as long as ever you can.”
About the program
Wesley Problem Gambling Counselling is a community based specialised program funded under the Office of Responsible Gambling. This program operates from a trauma-informed, holistic framework, to assist individuals and their families to reduce the impact of problem gambling.
About the role
This position will be responsible for delivering therapeutic counselling support to individuals affected by problem gambling and their families in order to assist in reducing the negative effects of problem gambling. In addition to face-to-face counselling, this position will include working to raise community awareness of problem gambling issues.
All counselling programs are underpinned by psychodynamic, trauma-informed, holistic principles.
- relevant tertiary qualification and/or equivalent in counselling or psychology
- membership of a professional association (i.e. APS, PACFA, ACA)
- experience and training in addiction and/or gambling counselling
- demonstrated skills & experience in a broad range of therapeutic approaches when working with individuals, couples and families
- demonstrated highly developed communication skills in written and oral situations, with a supportive and positive attitude toward all persons for whom there is responsibility, accountability or care
- computer literacy
- excellent time management, multi-tasking and follow-up skills
- willingness to affirm Wesley Mission’s vision, mission and values
- current NSW driver’s license
- current Working with Children Check
- 2 years’ experience in similar role
- experience in trauma counselling
Benefits of working at Wesley Mission
- Employee Support Program
- access to discounted health and travel insurance
- career growth and training opportunities in a valuable sector
- attractive tax saving salary packaging
Please submit a copy of your CV/resume and a cover letter addressing all the selection criteria. For further information, please contact:
Phone: (02) 4723 9272
Wesley Mission is a Christian organisation requiring all staff to affirm its values. We are committed to providing an environment in which children can feel safe and valued.
The suitable applicant will be subject to the relevant pre-employment checks for appointment to positions within Wesley Mission (including provision of a valid Working with Children Check clearance number). Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people are encouraged to apply.