Legal Counsel - Sydney CBD
Wesley Legal & Risk Services
- full-time position
- based in Sydney CBD
- generous salary packaging provisions
- support growing team
Wesley Mission is a high profile, multi-faceted Christian organisation making a real difference in the community. We work with the most disadvantaged in our community by providing over 200 services ranging from aged care, homeless services, child and family care, counselling, employment, training and education, and health services.
Our Vision is “Do all the good you can, by all the means you can, in all the ways you can, in all the places you can, at all the times you can, to all the people you can, as long as ever you can.”
About the role
Reporting to the Head of Legal, the role provides a range of legal services to the internal legal function. The role is varied, with a focus on:
- developing and maintaining a robust legal framework for contracts review and approvals
- providing legal support for organisational projects and assist with disputes and claim management, including insurance and redress claims
- ensuring organisational legal obligations are met, and risk is effectively managed, within agreed risk parameters
- providing legal advice and assistance to internal clients, including drafting and negotiating significant customer and supplier contracts and managing the contract development, review and execution process
- providing training to operational and executive management in legal and legislative requirements
- supporting the management of Wesley Mission’s insurance portfolio and liaising with relevant insurance providers as required.
- working closely with internal and external stakeholders on property matters and projects
- monitoring and advising the business of legislative and regulatory changes affecting Wesley Mission and supporting the organisation in implementing those changes.
- tertiary qualification in Law
- post-admission legal experience (minimum 5 plus years PQE)
- broad commercial law background, ideally with a commercial contract/procurement or property law focus
- strong interpersonal, influencing & negotiation skills to gain the acceptance of ideas, cooperation with others, and the ability to modify styles and techniques to accommodate tasks, situations and individuals
- relevant experience working in an in-house legal function or similar
- ability to work effectively with clients from a socially or economically disadvantaged background, including clients facing criminal charges
Friday 24 May 2019, by 5 pm
Please submit a copy of your CV/resume and a cover letter addressing all the selection criteria, with the subject title: Legal Counsel Application_[insert full name]. For further information or to submit an application, please contact:
Phone: (02) 9263 5421
Email: [email protected]
Wesley Mission is a Christian organisation requiring all staff to affirm its values. We are committed to providing an environment in which children can feel safe and valued.
The suitable applicant will be subject to the relevant pre-employment checks for appointment to positions within Wesley Mission (including provision of a valid Working with Children Check clearance number). Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people are encouraged to apply.