Welfare Worker - Surry Hills
Wesley Homeless Services
- shift work / rotating roster / minimum 19 hours per weeks
- based in Surry Hills
Wesley Mission is a high profile, multi-faceted Christian organisation making a real difference in the community. We work with the most disadvantaged in our community by providing over 200 services ranging from aged care, homeless services, child and family care, counselling, employment, training and education, and health services.
Our Vision is “Do all the good you can, by all the means you can, in all the ways you can, in all the places you can, at all the times you can, to all the people you can, as long as ever you can.”
About the role
An opportunity exists for a resilient, flexible and teachable person to join our team of welfare workers serving guests at our busy 24/7 mixed emergency accommodation service, Edward Eagar Lodge. The role will be testing and demanding but very rewarding. Shifts will include a mix of overnight, day, morning and evening shifts – including weekends and public holidays.
- qualifications and experience relevant to the provision of quality customer service and supportive welfare services
- ease in providing warm and credible empathy to people who are homeless, and the capacity to engage with people who may at times display behaviour that is challenging or affected by health or substance issues
- ability to articulate practice that is person centred, trauma informed, culturally competent and respectful of diversity
- communication skills and administrative competencies
- ability to perform in complex and challenging community welfare settings – flexible and creative approaches to work and tested personal attributes such as resilience, patience, initiative, compassion and commitment to self-care
- ability to embrace Wesley Mission’s values and to work within its codes of ethics and conduct – and to work respectfully alongside the mission and values of partner organisations
- helpful local, sector or organisational knowledge
- familiarity with sector practice guidelines and information systems
Applicants will need to possess a current driver’s licence, Apply First Aid Certification, and satisfy relevant security checks including but not limited to a Working with Children Check.
Salary and employment conditions are in accordance with the Social, Community, Home Care and Disability Services Industry Award 2010, with generous salary packaging available.
Thursday 12 December 2019, by 5pm.
Please submit a copy of your CV/resume and a cover letter addressing all the selection criteria as described in this ad. For further information, or to submit an application, please contact:
Phone: 0437 860 345
Wesley Mission is a Christian organisation requiring all staff to affirm its values. We are committed to providing an environment in which children can feel safe and valued.
The suitable applicant will be subject to the relevant pre-employment checks for appointment to positions within Wesley Mission (including provision of a valid Working with Children Check clearance number). Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people are encouraged to apply.