Youth and Family Coach - Blacktown
Wesley Youth Hope Western Sydney
- full-time position, 38 hours per week until April 2020 (with the possibility of extension)
- based in Blacktown
- salary + fully maintained car + super + salary packaging benefits
- work in a creative and supportive environment
Wesley Mission is a high profile, multi-faceted Christian organisation making a real difference in the community. We work with the most disadvantaged in our community by providing over 200 services ranging from aged care, homeless services, child and family care, counselling, employment, training and education, and health services.
Our Vision is “Do all the good you can, by all the means you can, in all the ways you can, in all the places you can, at all the times you can, to all the people you can, as long as ever you can.”
About the program
Youth Hope is funded by the NSW Department of Family and Community Services to support children aged between 9-15 years who sit at risk of significant harm.
Youth Hope works with children, young people, and their families to prevent issues of child safety, welfare and wellbeing escalating further and potentially placing children and young people at risk of entering the statutory child protection system.
About the role
We are currently seeking two caseworkers who are highly professional, experienced and committed to work with families to promote:
- healthy development in children and young people, including support for children to reach their developmental milestones in education, social and personal development
- increased capacity for parents to meet the emotional, physical and material needs of their children, through warm and nurturing interactions and encouragement
- an increased awareness of culture and identity, including recognising the importance of culture in nurturing a sense of safety for Aboriginal children and young people in their family and broader communities
- strong, functional, and well-supported families
- increased family connections with community partners and other service providers
- a reduction and/or prevention of children and young people experience abuse and neglect
- increased resilience for children, young people, and their families
- tertiary qualification(s) in Psychology, Counselling, Social Work, Social Science or related fields
- experience in completing family assessments that involves the identification and analysis of safety and wellbeing concerns for Children & Young People (CYP) and family members
- demonstrated ability to engage parents and effect change through practical support and guidance around parenting strategies
- demonstrated ability to engage families at the point of initial service contact, build relationships of trust and cooperation, problem solve and resolve conflict
- demonstrated knowledge and experience working with CYP and families experiencing Domestic Violence, Child Protection issues, Drug and Alcohol Misuse, CYP Behaviour Management, Educational Neglect, Mental Health and Social Isolation
- high-level written and verbal communication skills, with experience developing case summaries and completing Child protection reports
- high-level ability to liaise, develop and maintain relationships with professional groups including Community Services and other government and non-government stakeholders
- working knowledge of and commitment to Wraparound model of service provision, 10 Practice Principals of Family Work (FaMS), evidence based practice Child/Youth focused practice
- ability to work effectively with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander (ATSI) and Culturally and Linguistically Diverse (CALD) organisations and communities
- flexibility to work some evenings and occasional Saturdays
- current NSW or National driver’s licence
- working knowledge of the Youth and Family Support sector in the Penrith and Blacktown local government area
- experience in using Structured Decision Making tools for family assessment
- experience in managing electronic files and data bases
Salary and employment conditions are in accordance with Social, Community, Home Care and Disability Services Industry Award 2010, Level 5.
Monday 01 April 2019, by 9am
Please submit a copy of your CV/resume and a cover letter addressing all the selection criteria. For further information, or to submit an application, please contact:
Email: [email protected]
Applications must address essential and desirable criteria to be considered for an interview.
Wesley Mission is a Christian Organisation requiring all staff to affirm its values and worker Code of Conduct. We are committed to providing an environment in which children can feel safe and valued.
The suitable applicant will be subject to the relevant pre-employment checks for appointment to positions within Wesley Mission (including provision of a valid Working with Children Check clearance number). Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people are encouraged to apply.