Treatment for depression
Depression is a serious illness. You may feel bleak, overwhelmed by sadness and hopelessness.
One in seven Australians experience an episode of depression at some stage in their life. Symptoms can vary between individuals. Depression is treatable, and the sooner you seek help the better. Without treatment, depression can have negative impacts on your social, work and study life, as well as physical and mental health.
Take the next step
Enter your details below and we'll be in touch within approximately 1 business day.
Treatment programs for depression
At Wesley Hospital we offer proven and effective treatment to help you deal with clinical depression and aim to help you return to a fulfilled and connected life with your family and friends.
Inpatient care involves staying in the hospital for a period of time to receive focused 24-hour care. During your stay, you will be supported by our team of professional and compassionate staff, giving you access to evidence-based psychiatric, nursing and psychological support.
In addition to medical care, your treatment will also include:
- detailed clinical assessment from qualified professionals
- psychiatric and nursing care
- education about depression and the factors that maintain this condition
- help to identify triggers of depression
- guidance to develop strategies to help you manage how you feel
- finding ways to increase your motivation to change
- cognitive behaviour therapy to address thoughts and behaviours that maintain depression
- skill development, including problem solving skills, assertiveness and communication skills, distress tolerance and mindfulness skills
- improvement of self esteem
- relapse prevention.
Day patient programs offer you treatment and ongoing support if you don’t require the focused care that our inpatient treatment program offers. It is also an effective way to continue treatment after returning to your everyday life if you’ve been an inpatient, providing you with ongoing care and support in your journey of recovery.
Treatment through our day patient program involves attending short sessions. The number of sessions you attend depends on the program and your personal needs.