Wesley Dalmar began its life as the Central Mission Home for Neglected Children at Waverley House in Woolloomooloo in 1893. Very soon the need was greater than demand. In 1900 the service expanded to a four acre property in Croydon called Dalmar where 80 children were cared for—and the service took on the name of the property.
By 1923 the service had outgrown the Croydon property and moved to a purpose built site in Carlingford, retaining the name Dalmar and opening its doors to more children in need. By 1938 there were 150 infants and children being cared for at Dalmar.
1962 saw the beginnings of foster care and adoption programs at Wesley Mission and these were soon followed by group homes. By 1982 Wesley Dalmar was caring for 90 children in various residential homes and 35 children in foster care.
Today Wesley Dalmar provides homes for more than 620 children and young people in foster care.