Driven to care for vulnerable older people in the community, Wesley Mission opened its first aged care facilities in the 1920s, just at the onset of the Great Depression. Since then the work has expanded and Wesley Mission now provides eight residential aged care facilities in Sydney with three independent living villages and four high level care ageing in place facilities.
Frank Vickery Village is an independent living village in Sylvania in Sydney’s South. It opened its doors back in 1948. At the time it was called the Sylvania Aged Couples Settlement, offering senior couples a place where they could live together with the reassurance of knowing they could access help when needed and the option of moving to higher level care on the same premises when required. It later changed name to Frank Vickery Village, extending care to include single aged people.
The village takes its name from E Frank Vickery, grandson of Ebenezer Vickery, who was a gifted politician and generous benefactor of Wesley Mission at the turn of the twentieth century. E Frank Vickery went on to further his grandfather’s work in providing financial security for Wesley Mission’s ministry and philanthropic work.