Work, health and safety policy
The purpose of this policy is to outline Wesley Mission’s obligations regarding work, health and safety and our commitment to ensuring, so far as reasonably practicable, the health and safety of our workers and others in our workplaces.
Wesley Mission’s vision is to do all the good you can, by all the means you can, in all the ways you can, in all the places you can, at all times you can, to all the people you can, as long as ever you can.
Wesley Mission is committed to ensuring so far as reasonably practicable the health and safety of our workers and others in our workplaces. We will achieve this by:
- providing and maintaining a working environment without risks to health and safety
- providing and maintaining safe plant and structures
- providing and maintaining safe systems of work
- the safe use, handling and storing of plant, structures and substances
- providing adequate facilities for the welfare of our workers, and ensuring access to those facilities
- providing information, training, instruction and supervision that is necessary to protect all persons from risks to their health and safety
- ensuring the health of our workers and the conditions of our workplaces are monitored to prevent injury and illness.
These commitments require the active participation of all Wesley Mission workers.
Wesley Mission’s Senior Leadership Team shall:
- provide the necessary resources, direction and leadership to implement the objectives of this policy
- acquire and maintain an up-to-date knowledge of the health and safety risks associated with Wesley Mission operations
- provide the necessary resources and processes to eliminate or minimise risks to health and safety from Wesley Mission operations, including processes for receiving and considering information regarding incidents, hazards and risks, and for responding in a timely way to that information
- establish health and safety objectives for their departments, and be accountable for the health and safety performance of their departments
- foster continuous improvement in health and safety performance by integrating work health and safety risk management principles into operational and strategic decision-making processes.
Each Wesley Mission Manager and Coordinator shall:
- establish and maintain safe and healthy workplaces, safe systems of work, and ensure equipment and substances are safely used
- identify, assess and control hazards in our workplaces and arising from our work activities
- consult with workers to enable them to effectively contribute to the making of decisions affecting their health, safety and welfare at work
- provide instruction, training, information and supervision to ensure the health and safety of workers.
Each Wesley Mission worker shall:
- take reasonable care for their own health and safety
- take reasonable care that their acts and omissions do not adversely affect the health and safety of others
- comply with any reasonable instruction to ensure Wesley Mission meets its work health and safety obligations
- work in accordance with established safe systems of work, including undertaking training as necessary to ensure their health and safety
- promptly report all hazards, incidents and injuries
- contribute to consultative arrangements for health and safety.
Wesley Mission has developed a Work Health and Safety Management Framework to facilitate the objectives of this policy. All workers and others are required to comply with this policy, Wesley Mission’s Work Health and Safety Management Framework and relevant work health and safety legislation, codes of practice and standards.
Rev Dr Keith V Garner, AM
Chief Executive Officer