Wesley Newcastle Community Hub
- full-time position available
- servicing Newcastle, Hunter, Central Coast and Mid North Coast Region (based in Newcastle office)
- leading NFP organisation making a real difference in the community.
About the program
The Community Visitors Scheme links eligible aged persons residing in aged care accommodation or in their own homes with specially trained volunteers who provide social support and friendship.
The Newcastle Community Hub draws on volunteers to assist with client triage, linking clients with Wesley Mission programs and local community partners.
About the role
We are looking for an enthusiastic person who has experience working with volunteers and an appreciation and understanding of the unique characteristics associated with the coordination of a volunteer program. This position requires experience and/or qualifications in volunteer management, aged care, or health or community services sector. The role will involve travel throughout the Newcastle, Hunter, Central Coast and Mid North Coast regions.
The Volunteer Coordinator will undertake assessment, recruitment and selection of prospective volunteers and provide ongoing training and support.
To be successful in this position, candidates must possess the following:
- highly organised
- commitment to work collaboratively with other Wesley Mission programs, external partners and Community Visitors scheme auspices.
- willingness to affirm Wesley Mission’s vision, mission and values and enthusiastically advocate our Word and deed ministry
- demonstrated ability to work unsupervised as well as an effective team player with a positive can-do attitude
- relates well to a range of people with sound listening and problem-solving skills
- confident professional with strong initiative
- displays emotional maturity and resilience
- ability to be flexible, creative and innovative in delivering social support which promotes ageing.
- understanding of regulations associated with volunteer programs
- understanding of issues associated with the impacts of social isolation
- ability to recruit, inspire, train and provide ongoing support to volunteers
- possess knowledge, understanding and ability to keep abreast with, and apply innovative and best practice solutions for providing quality social support based on positive ageing
- experience in networking effectively with partners e.g. other service providers and stakeholders
- competency in risk management processes
- proven ability to liaise and communicate with a broad range of people in a professional and ethical manner
- demonstrated ability and willingness to advocate on a person’s behalf
- cultural competency
- understanding of the unique experiences for people who identify as Aboriginal (First Nations), Torres Strait Islander, Culturally and Linguistically Diverse and LGBTIQ
- excellent verbal and written skills
- strong administration and organisational skills
- excellent time management, multi-tasking and follow-up skills
- computer confidence, especially using Microsoft Office and Word
- understanding of, and diligent approach to WHS
- current unrestricted NSW Drivers Licence and access to motor vehicle
- be able to meet all security/ police and Working with Children Checks.
- previous experience in coordinating a volunteer-based program.
Salary and employment conditions are in accordance with the Social, Community, Home Care and Disability Services (SCHADS) Industry Award 2010.
2 December 2022.
Please submit your CV/Resume including a cover letter addressing all the Selection Criteria.
For further information, or to submit an application, please contact:
Phone: 49 153602
15 Denison Street, Newcastle West NSW 2302
PO Box: 2208 Dangar, NSW 2209
Wesley Mission is a Christian organisation requiring all staff to affirm its values. We are committed to providing an environment in which children can feel safe and valued.
The suitable applicant will be subject to the relevant pre-employment checks for appointment to positions within Wesley Mission. Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people are encouraged to apply.