Good mental health is vital for young people to develop the skills and resilience they need. We offer a range of services to help children and young people to improve and maintain good mental health.
Wesley Young Healthy Minds
This is a free service based in Newcastle, where we provide children and young people access to services that help them build the skills and confidence they need to:
- improve their emotional health and wellbeing
- better manage the different aspects of their lives
- better participate in their communities
- reach their full potential.
We also help parents and carers learn about mental health issues such as anxiety and how to support the child or young person in their care.
- school work and school life
- social skills and social issues such as bullying and isolation
- self-esteem and confidence building
- career planning and recruitment
- relationships with parents
- advice and referrals to specialist services.
In Australia youth unemployment has averaged around 13.5%. In Western Sydney, the average climbs to 20% with some suburbs reaching as high as 45%.
Wesley WorkSmart targets 15 – 18 year olds, residing in Western Sydney, who are at risk of long-term unemployment.
Mental health resources
- Eheadspace: Speak confidentially to a qualified youth mental health professional.
- Children of Parents with a Mental Illness (COPMI): Resources for children of parents who suffer from mental illness.
- ReachOut:A national organisation working with young people and experts to deliver mental health services online.
- Sane Australia: An Australian charity providing information, guidance, and referrals to manage mental health concerns.
- Youth Beyond Blue: The youth branch of Beyond Blue, an Australian organisation which provides support and information for people suffering depression and other mental illnesses.