Wesley Dalmar began its life as the Central Mission Home for neglected children at Waverley House in Woolloomooloo in 1893.
In 1900, the Wesley Dalmar service expanded to a four-acre property in Croydon called ‘Dalmar’, which inspired the name of the service which cared for 80 children.
By 1923 the service had outgrown the Dalmar property in Croydon, but retained its name and moved to a purpose-built site in Carlingford, where it could open its doors to more children in need. By 1938 there were 150 infants and children being cared for at Dalmar.
1962 saw the beginnings of foster care and adoption programs at Wesley Mission, and these were soon followed by group homes. By 1982, Wesley Dalmar was caring for 90 children in various residential homes and 35 children in foster care.
Today Wesley Dalmar provides homes for more than 620 children and young people in foster care.