The Wesley Community Visitors Scheme is operated by Wesley Mission as part of the Commonwealth Government’s initiative to enhance the well-being of older people living in residential aged care facilities, or who are living in their own home with assistance through a Home Care Package.
Volunteers set aside time to visit a care recipient in an aged care facility or in their own home. Depending on the volunteer and the person they befriend, this time may be spent simply keeping each other company or taking part in any one of a number of activities.
The scheme aims to:
- improve the quality of life of care recipients
- extend social contacts
- minimise isolation from the broader community
- give older people a sense of worth and value
- provide volunteers with an older friend who can enrich their life
- give volunteers an opportunity to make their communities a better place to live for people of all ages.
We are committed to offering the best possible care to vulnerable older people in the community and a routine police check is conducted on all potential volunteers. The Scheme is committed to quality, flexible and dynamic friendships while maintaining sustainable and accountable services through:
- encouraging choice
- creating opportunities.