Looking after your wellbeing is so important during this time. It is normal to have moments of worry and stress as we try and navigate through this pandemic. To help support you through those moments, we have created some tips for you to focus on in your day-to-day life.
1. Recognise early warning signs you are stressed such as avoiding others, changes to sleeping and eating habits, losing your motivation or feeling anxious. Recognising early warning signs gives you an opportunity to use positive coping strategies before your feelings escalate.
2. Practice relaxation and healthy breathing. An easy way to do this is to find a quiet place to sit or lie, close your eyes then concentrate on your breathing as you inhale and exhale.
3. Connect spiritually – which can take the form of prayer, listening to a podcast, or speaking with a chaplain or trusted colleague.
4. Express yourself by talking to someone or through art, music or journaling.
5. Set some small goals and get help to accomplish them. Set yourself up for success by ensuring your goals are SMART – specific, measurable, achievable, relevant and time-bound.
6. Take a break – a change of scene or a change of pace is good for your mental health. Self-care is so important.
7. Find hobbies you enjoy and things you’re good at. This can help relieve stress and boosts your self-esteem, some hobbies include reading, drawing or even learning a new language.
8. Support through technology – look at websites such as www.lifeline.org.au and free mobile phone apps that focus on relaxation and mindfulness.
Wesley Mission can help
Through a range of services, both clinical and community-based, Wesley Mission is helping people across our country to address mental illness and to promote mental wellbeing.
Lifeline Sydney & Sutherland
If you’re in a crisis situation and need to talk to someone immediately, Lifeline is available and ready to help you by calling 13 11 14.
Delivering high quality and compassionate mental health care to people in need and their families for over 60 years. Visit tst-www.wesleymission.org.au/wesley-hospitals to learn more about our treatments and support.
Provides suicide prevention services that educate and empower local communities, supporting people most at risk. Visit wesleymission.org.au/wesley-lifeforce/ today for more information.