Our family centre in Dungog offers a variety of different services, free to local families, including: parenting skills workshops and local support networks through Families programs.
Our parenting skills workshops are designed to meet the diverse range of skills parents may require. We help parents to:
- understand the link between children’s emotions and their behaviour
- respond to children’s emotions and behaviour promptly and sensitively
- understand childhood and how to support the development and learning of children in the early years
- strengthen relationships with their children
- overcome barriers through support, advice and referrals
- learn to parent with their partner.
Our workshops have great benefits for families, as we continually aim to:
- create friendly and supportive workshops
- help parents feel confident in their abilities
- equip parents with the tools to manage children’s behaviour at different stages of their development
- help parents work with children to achieve their potential
- foster a passion for parenting.
We believe that parents are their children’s first and most important teachers in life. To assist them in this role the centre delivers:
- practical parenting skills
- opportunities to meet and build relationships with other parents, families and services in the community
- activities to support children’s learning and development.
These opportunities are provided through playgroups, social activities and educational groups as well as events and initiatives which celebrate community and families.
Our centre can help mothers, fathers and other parental figures to:
- understand how their children grow and develop
- increase knowledge of their child’s safety and wellbeing
- gain confidence in their parenting skills
- get access to appropriate support and professional assistance they may need for their child’s health and development.
The centre also assists children with:
- increasing physical skill development
- increasing their ability to problem solve
- developing good emotional and social skills
- having any potential health or learning problems detected.