Proposed concept design
In late June, Wesley Mission lodged a Development Application with the City of Sydney to refurbish the Wesley Edward Eagar Centre. The Development Application for the upgrade work was approved in October 2019.
We are now moving into the next stage of the project, by relocating the people we support to other temporary facilities in Sydney and starting construction on site.
What can you expect to happen now?
- Our people will be relocated.
- Once the building contractor has been appointed, hoardings will be erected around the site.
- Signage will be installed to communicate to our people and the community that the facility is closed and where to go for help.
- The contractor will communicate with you directly regarding construction works and any possible impacts.
The upgrade, which is anticipated to take approximately 12 months, will make a substantial change to the level of care provided with the following amendments planned:
- en-suite bathrooms
- accessible rooms
- an accessible lift
- communal areas
- meeting rooms
- a roof terrace
- a second entrance
- public café where clients and the community can share an inviting communal space
The new model will allow Wesley Mission to focus on the long-term impact and positive change the lodge can have on client’s lives. It will also allow Wesley Mission to better manage the real human issues around homelessness for a wider range of clients, rather than just the numbers game of people and beds.
Below is a fly through of Wesley Edward Eagar Centre once the upgrade has been completed.
Note: Artist impression only.