As the young people in our care transition out of their foster homes as they get older, it’s important that they remain supported for the long term, and we offer a number of services to this end.
Wesley Dalmar Aftercare
The Wesley Dalmar Aftercare program supports people once they have left foster care. If they were in our care as a child, we help them access any personal records that we hold and any additional support they may need, including the opportunity to talk about what it was like during their time with us.
Wesley Take Charge of Your Life
A joint initiative with Rotary Club of Sydney, this support program aims to fill a gap that currently exists in providing assistance to young people aged 15 to 25, as they transition from living in out-of-home care to living independently. The pilot program will be fully funded so young people can participate in the program at no cost to them.
In preparing young people when leaving out-of-home care to feel ready and empowered to successfully live independently, we link them to other Wesley Mission services to help them on their way. The services and support offered include:
- accommodation assistance
- personalised mentoring programs
- supported job search and work experience placements
- courses to enhance financial literacy skills
- formal qualifications in Certificate II Business
- gambling, drug and alcohol awareness information sessions and access to speciality clinical supports
- volunteering opportunities
- Wesley work placement opportunities
- linking young people in with CREATE Foundation for ongoing support and guidance.
We also launched educational initiatives in 2014 which provide help young people making the transition to university or vocational training.
The Marcus Wilson Scholarship provides a young person with an opportunity to secure a trade qualification.
The Wesley Dalmar Scholarship supports a young person to obtain a university degree.
These scholarships are designed to help a young person in this time of change, and settle into a new stage of learning.