Find help right now

For tenants

Find out how you can access help to pay your rent, organise repairs or access additional tenancy information as a Wesley Community Housing tenant.

Fact sheets for tenants

You can access the latest copy of our tenant newsletter here:

Quarterly newsletter for our tenants

Paying my rent

  • How do I pay my rent?

    You can pay your rent by:

    • Centrepay deductions, or
    • direct debit from your bank

    To set up Centrepay deductions, contact Centrelink directly, speak to your Support service provider or get in touch with Wesley Community Housing on 1800 770 602.

  • How often is my rent due?

    Rent is due every fortnight and must be paid 14 days (two weeks) in advance.

    It is important that you keep your rent payments up-to-date to ensure you can continue living in your property. By signing your Residential Tenancy Agreement you are agreeing to this arrangement. If you fall behind in your rent payments (arrears), you will be in breach of your Residential Tenancy Agreement and risk ending your tenancy and losing your place to live.

  • How is my rent calculated?

    We calculate rent in line with the Housing NSW Community Housing Rent policy. Rent is calculated as a percentage of your assessable household income plus any entitlement to Commonwealth Rent Assistance.

    At the start of your tenancy we ask you to provide evidence of your recent income. This will include Centrelink income statements or pay slips. The evidence you submit must not be any older than one month.

    It is important you provide us with all the income information for your household (tenant and any household members over the age of 18), as well as any deductible expenses (including child support payments) so that we can calculate your rent accurately.

    If you have an irregular income we will take an average of the last four weeks of income and determine your assessable income.

  • What do I do if my household income changes?

    Please let us know within 21 days if there has been a change in your household income. We will conduct a rent review and you will need to provide current income statements or pay slips for all tenants and household members over the age of 18 years.

    If your rent has changed as a result of our rent review, you will be provided with a new Centrepay form and Rent Calculation report.  If your subsidised rent needs to be increased, we will provide 21 days notice of this change.

  • How do I apply for rent assistance?

    If you currently receive a Centrelink benefit, such as a pension or allowance, you may be eligible to receive Commonwealth Rent Assistance. This is a payment provided to help you pay your rent.

    We can calculate how much rent assistance you are entitled to and can explain how to claim rent assistance through your local Centrelink office or by logging on to MyGov website.

    Centrelink may require proof of the amount of rent you pay. This can be done by providing your Residential Tenancy Agreement.

  • How do I apply for a Centrelink payment?

    To apply for a Centrelink payment, visit your local Centrelink office or call the appropriate number below:

    Families                                   136 150

    Indigenous Australians            1800 136 380

    Job Seekers                            132 850

    Youth Allowance                     132 490

    Older Australians                    132 300

    People with a disability            132 717

    Students                                  132 490

    To find out more, or to apply online, visit the Human Services website

  • What happens if I fall behind in my rent payments?

    Please get in touch before you fall behind in your payments (rent arrears).

    If you are having financial difficulties at any point during your tenancy it is important to speak to your Support Service worker in the first instance, and Wesley Community Housing Tenancy Officer. Together we can help you work out your options, discuss a payment plan to get you back on track, and put you in touch with extra support if you need it.

    If you fall behind in rent, you may receive communication from us reminding you that your rent is overdue and needs to be paid immediately. If you do not make arrangements to repay your overdue rent, or discontinue your payment plan, you will be in breach of your Residential Tenancy Agreement and risk losing your place to live.

    Get help now by calling 1800 770 602 or email [email protected]

Living in my home

  • Can I let someone else move into my property?

    If you would like someone to move into your property, please speak to your Support Service Provider first, or contact Wesley Community Housing.

    You cannot have others move into your property without first gaining approval from Wesley Community Housing. We need to check that the property is suitable to house additional occupants, and you will be required to complete an application form for each additional occupant in the household. If the applicants are approved, a rent review will be required to include their income as part of your assessable household income.

    If you do not inform Wesley Community Housing of any additional occupants you risk breaching your Residential Tenancy Agreement.

  • Am I allowed a pet?

    If you wish to have a pet living with you, you will need to seek permission by submitting a request in writing to Wesley Community Housing. Animals may have to leave your property if you have not been given permission to have them there. 

    It is a requirement that any pet will not interfere with the reasonable peace, comfort and/or privacy of neighbours.

  • Do I need to tell you if I’m going on holiday?

    Yes. For holidays of four weeks or less, please inform your Support Service Provider or your Tenancy Officer in advance. Please notify us 14 days before you leave and include the contact details of a friend or relative who can be called in an emergency.

    If you intend being away from your property for longer, you will need to speak to your Tenancy Officer immediately, as this will impact your accommodation with Wesley Community Housing.

  • How do I setup gas and electricity accounts?

    Power bills can be very expensive and some companies charge a fee if you move or end your contract early, so choose carefully when setting up gas and electricity accounts for your property. 

    Three common providers are:

    • Origin Energy: 13 24 61  (For an interpreter, call 1300 137 427)
    • Energy Australia - 133 466 (For an interpreter, call 131 450)
    • AGL - 131 245 (For an interpreter, call 131 450)

    If you do not understand something in your contract, ask your energy retailer or get independent advice on what it means as contracts are legally enforceable.

    For further help choosing a suitable provider, visit the NSW Department of Industry Resources and Energy website or search online for energy comparison websites.

    Most companies offer discounts or payment plans to people experiencing financial hardship, and you may be eligible to apply for:

    • Low Income Household Rebate
    • Gas Rebate
    • Life Support Rebate
    • Medical Energy Rebate
    • Family Energy Rebate.
  • Will I be charged for water?

    This depends on the property that you are leasing. When you view your property, and prior to signing a Residential Tenancy Agreement, your Tenancy Officer will advise you of all charges associated with the property. They will also explain the methods of payment for any charges.

  • What do I do with my household rubbish?

    Rubbish and recycling is your responsibility and should be separated and placed into different bins.

    Rubbish bin

    In the green rubbish bin you can put:

    • food packaging
    • food waste
    • anything that is not recyclable
    • plastic bags and garbage bags
    • nappies
    • broken household items
    • grass clippings and small garden pruning

    You should not put in:

    • asbestos (including fibro)
    • building waste 
    • car parts or car batteries
    • car oil
    • syringes and needles 
    • chemicals  
    • paint
    • medicines or medical waste 
    • hot ashes
    • gas bottles.

    Recycling bin

    In your yellow recycling bin you can put:

    • plastic soft-drink and water bottles
    • cans and tins
    • glass bottles and jars
    • plastic food containers
    • juice and milk cartons and bottles
    • newspapers and magazines
    • phone books
    • egg cartons
    • envelops
    • cardboard boxes.

    You should not put in:

    • plastic bags
    • light globes and mirrors
    • drinking glasses
    • any of the rubbish listed to go in the green rubbish bin.
  • How do I throw out furniture and other large items?

    If you have a large item you do not need any more, don’t dump it or leave it outside your home as you can be fined.

    Please contact your local council who should have a scheduled pick up service for items such as fridges, beds and furniture, and may even offer an on-demand pick up service. All rubbish must be collected before your final exit from the property.

Ending my lease

  • How do I end my lease?

    To end a lease, you will need to advise your Support Service Provider or contact your Wesley Community Housing tenancy officer.  You will need to provide adequate notice:

    • 21 days (for tenants with ongoing leases)
    • 14 days (for tenants with a fixed term lease e.g. 6 or 12 months)
  • What are my responsibilities at the end of my lease?

    At the end of your lease, please ensure you have:

    • paid all outstanding debts (e.g water, rent, utilities)
    • removed all your personal belongings and left the property vacant
    • removed, or arranged for the removal of all rubbish from the property (or on the grounds of the property)
    • left the property in a clean and tidy condition ready for the next person to move in
    • removed any locks you may have placed on your mail box
    • returned all keys (including to your doors, shared areas, windows, garages) during your final inspection. Please return all keys without delay, as you will be responsible for paying rent for every day beyond your final leaving date until they are returned.

    Please thoroughly clean inside the property, including:

    • Stove, oven and grill
    • bathroom and toilet
    • carpet, flooring and skirting boards  
    • kitchen and other cupboards and drawers
    • clean marks off walls
    • blinds
    • for pet owners, ensure carpets are shampooed and the property fumigated.

    Please also tidy outside the property, ensuring all rubbish is removed from the property.

    For all other questions about ending a tenancy contact us on 1800 770 602.

  • Will my bond money be returned?

    During your final inspection, we will check to see if there is any unreported damage to the property and any unpaid accounts for rent, water etc.

    If everything is in good condition, the property is in a clean and tidy state, and your accounts have been paid, your bond will be returned.

    If the property is not left in a clean and tidy state, the cost of cleaning or rubbish removal will be deducted from your bond. 

    You will be charged costs if we have to pay for:

    • rubbish removal (you cannot leave rubbish behind for council to collect)
    • the cost of cleaning the property if it is not left in the same condition as when you moved in (fair wear and tear excluded)
    • removing a vehicle you may have abandoned on the property
    • the repair of any damages you may have caused to the property.

    Any unpaid accounts will also be deducted from your bond.

    At your final inspection, your Wesley Community Housing Tenancy Officer will have a bond claim form for you to complete.  We will need your bank details and a forwarding address for the Rental Bond Board at the Department of Fair Trading (who are holding your rental bond) to deposit any monies owing to you. They will let you know when your bond has been deposited.

Related services