Our family centre in Riverstone offers a variety of different services, free to local families, including parenting skills workshops, local support networks through Wesley Connect and youth work.
The Hills Wesley Family Centre
Our workshops are designed to meet the diverse range of skills parents may require. We help parents to:
- understand the link between children’s emotions and their behaviour
- respond to children’s emotions and behaviour promptly and sensitively
- understand childhood and how to support the development and learning of children in the early years
- strengthen relationships with their children
- overcome barriers through support, advice and referrals
- learn to parent with their partner.
Our workshops have great benefits for families, as we continually aim to:
- create friendly and supportive workshops
- help parents feel confident in their abilities
- equip parents with the tools to manage children’s behaviour at different stages of their development
- help parents work with children to achieve their potential
- foster a passion for parenting.
Wesley Family Centre
This program brings parents together to form local support networks through various groups and events. It focuses primarily on families with children from birth to eight years of age.
The program responds to the belief that parents are their children’s first and most important teachers in life. Mothers, fathers and other parental figures are encouraged to:
- understand how their children grow and develop
- increase knowledge of their child’s safety and wellbeing
- gain confidence in their parenting skills
- get access to appropriate support and the professional assistance for their child’s health and development.
Children are assisted with:
- developing good language skills
- increasing physical skill development
- increasing their ability to problem solve
- developing good emotional and social skills
- having any potential health or learning problems detected.
We provide free support services for young people between the ages of 12 and 18, and their families. We offer a range of services; from one-on-one support sessions for young people, to parenting support and workshops. Wesley Youth Services, a suite of services run out of Wesley Family Centre Quakers Hill, assists young people with:
- school work and school life
- social skills and social issues such as bullying and isolation
- self-esteem and confidence building
- career planning and recruitment
- relationships with parents
- advice and referrals to specialist services.